Lynda Sappington Fine Art

"Cutting Loose"


"Rascal" is one version of me "cutting loose."

One day last week, I was thoroughly frustrated with a painting I was working on and needed to really "cut loose," so I got out a 12x12 canvas, something I might do a study on, or even a small painting. I stood and stared at it, realizing it wasn't big enough for my frustration level. I dug into my canvas storage and came out with a 24x30 gallery-wrapped canvas (the deep kind that doesn't require a frame) - one of the biggest canvases I have. Then I put dabs of paint on my palette in some of my favorite strong colors, grabbed a big palette knife and started PLAYING! OH yeah! I swiped and swooped and piled paint on that canvas, layer on layer, wet on wet so the colors combined, and this is what emerged. I call it "Chaos - Job 38:1". It was so much fun to create!

 

My husband found a horse head at the 9:00 position in this painting - ears, face, blaze, muzzle, all there in the swipe of color that's there. Part of the fun of abstracts is what various people see in them. What do you see? Please let me know in the comments!

 

I hope you're having a creative, happy day! Off to the studio for me!

 

All the best,

Lynda <><

Read More